Sunday, August 24, 2008

WE MADE IT

Jenny and I officially made it to Hotel Alston, the hotel we are stayed in last night and are staying in with our group tonight. HALLELUJIAH! It was definitely a long trip. I got to the airport with plenty of time to spare and stood in a super long line to check my bags. Apparently, though, I didn´t have to stand in that line becuase I was already checked in, but the guy outside said I was supposed to. Anyways, I made it to the plane, had a great flight to Atlanta (during which I mostly slept). I talked to a 60 ish year old guy from Georgia who wanted very badly to talk politics because on the plane we had TV´s and CNN announced that Biden is going to the Obama´s VP. Anyways, this guy really wanted to talk politics, so I tried to work my way out of the situation. It was interesting. Once I got to Atlanta, Jenny was waiting for me at the gate (which was SO nice of her. It´s very nice to be met with a friendly face yay). We both bought a rediculously expensive Starbucks... our last for the next four months.. so sad! Then we walked around aimlessly for awhile through the duty free store and sat around until we boarded our flight. We waited on the plane for about two hours (during which I definitely slept again haha) until they fixed the door and then took off. We got through immigration and customs fairly fast, and caught a taxi to Hotel Alston. and then we passed out. and by the way, Quito is TWO HOURS ahead of Seattle time (it took us about 20 minutes to figure that out haha). Anywho, this morning we´ve been walking around a bit, checking out the streets around our hotel. We are definitely in America-land of Quito and there are funny sayings, names of restaurants (such as Hot Dogs and Hot Karoake) , and bad American music playing everywhere. Ít´s great!! so funny. anyways, we have to get back to the hotel to meet the group. Talk soon... love, ME

3 comments:

Dadio said...

Maddie:

Mom taught me a long time ago: as soon as you get on an airplane, either start reading a book and look like you're seriously into it OR put on your headphones and close your eyes and pretend you're sleeping!

I've met Joe Biden, by the way. A very long time ago. I was a grad student at the University of Arizona. He was a guest speaker at a conference that my boss/professor was sponsoring. So, I got to be Joe's chauffeur for one day. I was impressed with him then. He'd only been a U. S. Senator for a couple of years (this was in '74).

Sarah D said...

Man, you mean you could have talked politics with a guy from georgia! I would love to see his regional take on things. haha. But good job staying away from it--nothing makes people mad more.

I'm so glad to here you made it there! I am not surprised that you slept most of the time (I'm just jealous). Enjoy replacing Starbucks with the wonderful South American coffee!

P.S.. Pete really dated himself with that first comment, lol.

Unknown said...

Hi Maddie:

It's your auntie from AZ. Didn't get to talk to you much this year, but I keep tabs on you through your Dad. How very exciting to be going to Ecuador. Take a lot of pictures and be safe. I'll talk at ya later on ...

Love ya ... Auntie Smilja